Sunday, August 30, 2009

Surprise

Last tuesday I was home all alone, stuck in a splint, with severely limited mobility. Mary Anne left early and told me she was going to be home late to pick up her glasses and pick up dinner. The day dragged on. Daytime television sucks. I started watching Season 1 of the new 90210. Kinda just half paying attention. I am on facebook more than ever before, getting into hundreds of fights with other people on mafia wars.

In short, I was going crazy. I didn't want to read the paper because of the painful extra inning Giants loss on Monday. If you don't know, the Giants had a 3 run lead in extra innings in Colorado and lost in the bottom of, I think the fourteenth inning. Already in pain, that win could have lifted my spirits but it didn't. I even was supposed to go to the game the next day, a home game against Colorado where there was a Carlos Santana bobblehead giveaway. I was hurting too much and it would have been too uncomfortable to go.

As the day wore on, I just got more and more restless. I just wanted Mary Anne to come home. I called her over and over again but she wasn't answering. I figured she was having her glasses fitted or her phone was on silent.

Finally at around 630ish she finally got home. I was so happy. I didn't have to be alone anymore. And...she had food. She brought home some chicken adobo. My favorite! I was so happy to eat but that wasn't the only surprise.

Mary Anne hands me a cardboard box. I was like what is this? It was a CARLOS SANTANA bobblehead. She knew how much I wanted to go and she knows about my love for collecting bobbleheads. I don't have any idea how many I have but I was sad to knowing I wasn't going to get this one. When I opened it up, I couldn't believe that Mary Anne drove all the way to the ballpark to pick it up after working a full day in Walnut Creek. The bobblehead even plays "Oye Como Va" if you press a button on the bottom.

Through all the pain, the misery of just having lost a championship game, the frustration of watching my Giants lose an extra inning heartbreaker, the constant memories flashing through my head of laying on the softball field and not being to help my friends. Through all of that, this bobblehead helped me remember what I do have. Mary Anne is the best, most thoughtful, most caring, loving, wife in the world. And knowing that we are going to raise a baby together makes me so elated for the future. I stopped living with thoughts of the present misery and started living focused on the future excitement.

1 comment:

Keef said...

How can you be surprised by anything Mac does at this point? Very, very, very sweet...but not in the least surprising to me. That falls under the old "do unto others"...you'd bend over backwards for her too, she's not the only one who knows it, and I think that's absolutely awesome.

It's funny. Everyone's concept of marriage is different. There are some people who sleepwalk through it, some who did it because they had to, but then there are the couples who got married for all the right reasons..who, when they said their vows, meant every word. That's what I see when I see you guys. And that's why, when I read this story, I wasn't surprised.