Friday, September 11, 2009

Athletes Anonymous

Hi, I am Lance and I am an recovering athlete. I have been athletically sober for three weeks. Playing sports cost me an injury and that's when I realized I hit rock bottom. I woke up unable to walk, my wife had to do more work than she should have to, my dogs couldn't go on walks. All I had was sports. Even after the injury, all I wanted to do was keep on playing. I have missed a lot of get togethers with friends because I am unable to drive. I sit at home lonely just thinking about walking out on a field again.

Normal people go home and relax. I guess I am still learning how to do that. But there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about playing football, basketball, or softball. I live for that rush of adrenaline. I live for those moments when a team has so much chemistry that each individual is better than they ever could be alone. Those moments when a game is so close that you rise above the fear of failure and accomplish feats that you did not think were possible. I don't know if I can ever live without that.

But I have to. Seeing my pregnant wife carry the burden of this entire house all because of my selfish need to play sports, i know, is not fair. Knowing there will be a little Lance or Mary Anne running around, what if I cannot be there for them? What if I am too hurt to carry our child? What if I cannot take our little kid to piano lessons or little league?

I need to get over it, I still want to be an athlete but I want to be a better husband, a better father, a better son, and a better friend.

No comments: