Thursday, February 25, 2010

We Weren't Born to Follow

There are times that art can just speak to you. Art can move you, represent you, fill you with emotions. During my Europe trip there were so many statues and paintings that left me in awe. I actually got chills when I walked into the Sistine Chapel. I was in disbelief when I saw the Jabbawockeez. My heart felt for Joannie Rochette when she took the ice to skate for her mom.

There is one music group that has moved me for over 20 years. This past Monday, I saw Bon Jovi in concert for the second time. In the late 80s I remember Bon Jovi being one of the only metal bands that my brother would blast that I could put up with. Actually, with Bon Jovi, I didn't juts put up with the music I liked it. I memorized the words to YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME and LIVIN' ON A PRAYER. Then, I moved to Daly City and that wasn't exactly the popular music among my peers and I strayed away from them instead enjoying New Edition, Boys II Men, En Vogue and other R&B acts.

But those Bon Jovi songs stuck with me and one day at a Karaoke night sometime during college I decided to belt out Livin' On a Prayer! I sang it hard and with emotion (although probably not well), but my friends saw it and then that song was attached to me once again, a decade after I had first got lost in that song. I refound my love of Bon Jovi's music. The group continued to produce music that I love to play while in the gym or to sing along in the car.




On Monday, it was the first time I left Baby Ava. Of course, even Bon Jovi didn't make being away from her easy but they definitely made it easier. As Gina drove to San Jose with 1,000 lbs of attitude we were a car that you wouldn't want to mess with. Derek sat up front with Macho behind him. Luckily, we got there in time. We passed up on watching Dashboard Confessional instead opting to stand in line for souvenirs. All four of us entered our seats with Bon Jovi bags. And it was time for the show!

They began their set with "Blood on Blood" which I don't really care for but then sang "We Weren't Born to Follow" from their new album, The Circle. Another great workout song. "When life is a bitter pill to swallow, come on and get up off your knees, when life is a bitter pill to swallow, you gotta hold on to what you believe."

The crowd stood throughout the first two songs and when "Bad Name" was played next the sold crowd was rocking! The four of us sang along with during the whole song but there wasn't much time to catch your breathe as Born to Be My Baby and Lost Highway followed Bad Name.

He then brought it back to the new with two more songs from his new album, but not my favorites. Some people started to sit as they weren't familiar with the new songs but many in the crowd, which ranged from kids to senior citizens, continued to sing along. I am a geek and actually listened to the new album over and over knowing that I was going to the concert.

"It's My Life" brought everyone back on their feet before Jon Bon Jovi took a break and let Richie Sambora sing Homebound Train by himself. When the lead singer came back out, he sang a heartfelt rendition of Hallelujah. With all that is going on in the world it felt like a perfect touch. He continued mixing the old and the new. I think Bed of Roses was next, followed by acoustic renditions of Something for the Pain and Someday I'll be Saturday Night. It was good but those songs had me in my seat but Bon Jovi brought us right back up with Bad Medicine and Who Says You Can't Go Home.



After over an hour of excitement he says that he is going to sing his last song and he starts playinng "Love's the Only Rule" from the new album. I like that song too but you can't end it lie that. Of course, we knew we couldn't leave a Bon Jovi concert without hearing Living On A Prayer! He left the stage, some actually left (ROOKIES) and then Bon Jovi came back out.

They said this is the third stop on the tour and they are still working out the kinks. He then sang "Thorn In My Side" my favorite song on the new album because I feel it. Its about someone who has been in a relationship that is over but lingers and even though he keeps getting knocked down, he will survive. I was pumped and sang along every word.

Wanted Dead or Alive was next and Mach and I were pumped. We were hoping for a Blaze of Glory mix but after Wanted was over he sang several lyrics from Livin' On A Prayer and the crowd didn't miss a beat. After the crowd enthusiastically sang by themselves, the memorable beginning riffs of Livin' began and everyone was ready.

When it was all over and all of us had lost our voice we were still sad that HAVE A NICE DAY and BLAZE OF GLORY weren't on the set. But that is Bon Jovi. We will get a dose of nostalgia but Bon Jovi stays relevant by playing their new songs. For the fans who have not heard the new album, I am sure hardcore Bon Jovi fans enjoyed the six songs he sang from the Circle and will go out and bu the album.



BON JOVI RULES!!!

2 comments:

Josephine Zee Papillon said...

What a great post!! Felt like I was there too! Man! My heart is racing from imagining I was there!! Glad you all had so much fun!!!

Macho's Babe said...

That truly was a memorable night! I loved being there with you guys and sharing those memories with my best friends. You have to send me the parking lot pic. Another magical night spent with the timeless lyrics of Bon Jovi..."we got each other and that's alot."